Swift Trust: essential for virtual collaboration
Science Daily, “Establishing Trust Online Is Critical For Online Communication Say NJIT Experts” reports the conclusions of a paper “Swift Trust in Virtual Teams".
This paper received the 2005 Award for the best article in 2004 in the IEEE ‘Transactions on Professional Communication’ journal.
The authors, Starr Roxanne Hiltz and Naomi Rotter, argue that virtual team leaders and on-line teachers need to overcome the potential coldness of the electronic medium and suggest a number of tactics for building “Swift Trust” including:
- Creating the sense that the leader is present even though they can’t be seen
- Establishing on-line dialogue early and quickly
- Swiftly and constructively replying to all new users comments and issues
- Recognising that the impression gained by users in the first week will have a major influence on future use
- Using private emails rather than public forums to scold users who are struggling
These are useful techniques for virtual coaches and virtual team leaders seeking to create more effective virtually networked teams
Bioteams Books Reviews
Networks competing with networks is the future for supply chains. Harvard Professor Marco Iansiti in his book "The Keystone Advantage: What the New Dynamics of Business Ecosystems Mean for Strategy, Innovation and Sustainability" predicts that the future business competition will not be between companies or even supply chains but between networks.